Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pleasing God or Pleasing Self Part 1

I am teaching a teen class on Purity and so I thought I would blog what I am teaching...it will be a series over the next couple days...

Working at the The WILDs Summer Camp and Conference Center, there was a phrase that was said a lot, "There are two choices on the shelf, pleasing God or pleasing self." When it comes to almost all decisions in life, this is true. It will come down to deciding whether you want to please God or yourself. The ironic thing is that when you please God, you will be pleasing yourself. 

When I think of purity, I think of the words, pure love, clean, untouched, uncontaminated, innocence and the color white. Other words bring about a whole different word picture. For instance, sex. Our culture has turned words this word into something that is free for all and dirty. It's taken what God designed and trashed it. 

God designed intimacy as a beautiful gift. Gen. 2:24-25 "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed." 
Over the years, I have counseled many a girl who has crossed the boundaries that God has put up for her. I hear the same thing, "Joy I felt dirty afterwards; I felt like I needed to go take a shower." I have yet to be told of anything but of shame and guilt. God has a beautiful wonderful gift but if it's opened early it loses that beauty. Heb 13:4  Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. 
You can ask my husband or any family member and they will all tell you the same thing, I HATE TO WAIT for any present. Especially at Christmas time, I am known to peek in my presents, and slit open a few corners so that I can get a peek at my presents. My family has learned to double wrap and stick it in a gift bag. In fact, my husband usually hides my presents until the 25th of December. Truthfully, even though I don't like to wait, I am enjoying my presents MUCH better now, because they are a surprise. In the past, I have always been excited about Christmas but the pleasure of opening the present and the beauty of the present always had a damper on it. Why? because I already knew what it was. Quite honestly, Christmas and my presents were boring. This too will happen if you try to open the present of intimacy before you are married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment